Oaxaca Food Tour Experience
with Acrogringa + Brooklyn Tropicali
5 Days/4 Nights
April 9-13, 2020
$1600 and up
*Prices in USD
Join our intimate Oaxaca retreat for a 5 day/4 night Oaxaca food tour, exploring the rich and traditional food culture in Oaxaca city and the surrounding pueblos. We will focus on heirloom, local ingredients that have been grown and prepared in this region for centuries. We’ll learn about and taste all of the most important Oaxacan specialities like heirloom corn, mezcal, tlayudas, barbacoa, mole, and more.
Milpa + Mesa Oaxaca Retreat Details:
We won’t just be eating delicious things, but learning from experts, and participating in the process – from planting seeds in an organic farm, to learning the nixtamal technique of transforming corn into tortillas (then eating your handmade creations), exploring traditional markets, visiting one of the best traditional mezcal palenques, and taking a cooking class with one of Oaxaca’s most acclaimed chefs.
Since this Oaxaca food tour coincides with Semana Santa (Easter week), one of the most important holidays in Mexico, you’ll see the celebrations and observations up close, including a parade with costumes and floats making their way through the historic streets.
Our Oaxaca retreat offers optional yoga classes taught daily by Stephanie Hobbins of Acrogringa.
Accommodation is in one of Oaxaca’s best designed and charming B&Bs on a historic and quiet cobblestone street.
Itinerary Highlights: Oaxaca Food Tour Milpa + Mesa
- Welcome cocktail and demonstration from Oaxaca bartending expert.
- Multi-course dinner at an indigenous Mixtec restaurant.
- Plant, harvest, cook, and eat workshop at an organic + sustainable local farm.
- Local holiday parade in the heart of Oaxaca City.
- Traditional dinner.
- Sightseeing in the colorful, colonial center.
- Multi-course lunch at award-winning restaurant in a small pueblo.
- Nixtamal workshop and cooking class to learn about the process of transforming raw criollo corn into tortillas.
- Visit to a bustling traditional Oaxacan market, sampling endemic fruits, local snacks, and delicious tacos.
- Tour our favorite mezcal palenque where we will learn about the process of making mezcal from agave to bottle. Enjoy a home-cooked lunch and visit to agave field.
- Cooking class with a renowned Oaxaca chef.
- Farewell lunch.
What’s Included in the Oaxaca Retreat Milpa + Mesa
-4 nights stay at cute bed and breakfast in the heart of Oaxaca City. Options are available for shared double occupancy rooms (let us know if you’d like to share with a friend), shared quadruple occupancy rooms, and private rooms. See pricing in the dropdown box at the top of the page.
-Breakfast, lunch, and dinner included during the entire duration of the retreat (from 3pm Thursday, April 9 to 3pm Monday, April 13).
-Daily yoga classes.
-Secure transport for all planned events during retreat (airport pickup/drop off is an optional add-on).
-Cooking classes and meals with renowned Oaxacan Chefs.
-Visit to local organic farm, field, and garden.
-Visit to a traditional mezcal palenque and agave field with home-cooked lunch. Educational tour and mezcal tasting.
-Educational talks about endemic foods, cooking techniques, and drinks.
-Nixtamal workshop with a local expert who will teach us about the traditional way to process corn from raw kernels to tortillas.
-Optional guided tours during free time.
-Tour of local traditional Oaxacan market.
-Mezcal cocktail demonstration and tasting with local bartender.
What’s Not Included:
-Travel to and from Oaxaca City. We will meet at hotel – If you need help getting from the airport or bus station to the hotel, please contact us so we can help with your arrangements. Optional airport pickup for $19 USD. If you’d like suggestions on how to find the best flights and travel into Oaxaca, we are happy to help. You can often find better prices flying into Mexico City and purchasing a domestic flight on a low cost carrier onward to Oaxaca. Email us for some tips at [email protected] after booking.
-Travel insurance (highly recommended).
-Additional alcoholic drinks (besides mezcal tasting at mezcal palenque, and welcome mezcal cocktail).
Payment info: Milpa + Mesa Oaxaca Food Tour
Just some fine print and frequently asked payment questions below.
- Non-refundable deposit due to reserve your spot. Final payment due before March 9, 2020
- We accept major credit cards, Paypal, Venmo and Direct Bank Transfer. For Venmo and Bank Transfers, you will receive $25 off! To pay by Venmo select “Direct Bank Transfer” at checkout and use @brooklyntropicali.com to send the deposit or payment.
- Roommate preference – add in if you prefer to room with a male or female in the “order notes” at checkout and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
- Book with a Friend and you each save $100! If you and a friend both book the Milpa + Mesa retreat, you can let us know during the checkout process and we’ll deduct the $100 off each of your final payments. At checkout add “booking with (your friend’s name)” in the Order Notes box. We’ll make sure to take care of the rest.
- Scholarships available! If you are a university student or a mother, we’ll take $100 off the retreat price. Contact us for more details at [email protected]
- For payment in pesos – please contact us!
FAQ: Oaxaca Food Tour
Visa: American citizens do not require a visa for travel of less than 180 days. If you are a citizen of another country you can check the visa requirements here.
Passport; Be sure that your passport is valid for at least 3 months after your planned travel and that you have at least one blank page in your passport.
Weather: April is one of the warmer months in Oaxaca, so the climate will be warm and dry during the day and a bit cooler and comfortable at night. You can check here for some temperature averages.